- July 9, 2017
- Posted by: PJ Vaske
- Category: auto transport companies, Car Transport Companies
Summertime is one of the most popular time to move, so there’s a good chance that you’ll be looking for a car shipping company during hot weather. If you’re moving from a colder climate to a warm one, you may not be used to preparing your car for hot weather. Whether you’re shipping your car during a heat wave or just taking good care of it, take a look at these tips for summertime car care.
- Keep Your Radiator Filled. Your radiator and cooling system protect your engine from overheating, and the system can be strained to the limit in hot weather. Glance under your car to catch any signs of leaking coolants, and keep an eye on the temperature gauge on your dashboard. Top off your coolant before you turn your car over to your auto transport company for good measure.
- Replace Windshield Wipers When They Start to Crack. If you’re moving to a hotter, dryer climate, get ready to replace your windshield wipers more often. When wipers aren’t used during warm, dry weather, they tend to crack, producing smears and streaks on the windshield that can make it dangerously hard for the driver to see the road ahead.
- Watch Your Tire Pressure. The air in your tire expands during hot weather, so it can be tough to get an accurate tire pressure reading. Take that pressure reading in the morning, before you start to drive, and keep your tires properly inflated all summer long, including when your car is being transported to your new home. This is also a good time to check your tire tread and rotate your tires.
- Change Your Belts. Belts also tend to dry out during hot weather, which can also cause to become misaligned or loose. Do a complete check of all the belts within easy reach at the start of every summer and before you turn your car over to your car shipping company.
- Recharge Your Air Conditioning System. If you’re moving to a hot climate, you can expect to keep that AC running round the clock. Any loss in air conditioning power means you have some sort of a leak. While you can treat it temporarily with a leak-sealing product, it’s best to have a qualified air conditioning mechanic repair the leak properly and recharge the whole system.
- Perform Routine Maintenance. Summer is tough on your car, so get your oil changed and those new fuel and air filters installed before any road trips. It’s also a great idea to handle all routine maintenance before shipping your car so it’s ready to go when you reach your new home and have so many other things to do.
- Protect Your Dashboard. Hot summer sun beating down on your dashboard can cause your car to heat up to unbearable levels, and the UV rays can cause damage to the dash and to your upholstery. Pick up sunshades to pop into place whenever you’re leaving your car outside, and consider side window sunshades as well to provide protection if you’re shipping your car on an open-air car carrier.
While you need to take care of your car year-round, summertime poses some special challenges, especially if you’re moving to a hot climate. Take a few precautions as you prepare to move your car with a car transport company to help it be ready to drive safely and comfortably in your new home.