- March 28, 2015
- Posted by: PJ Vaske
- Category: auto shipping, Car Shipping
It is time to transport your classic car, and you have decided to use an auto transport company. The process can be daunting. If you are like most car enthusiasts, your vehicles are extremely important to you, and you want them to remain in perfect condition for the next car show. No matter where you are transporting your car to, there are some things be aware of during the shipping process.
- Find a Reliable Car Shipping Company. The car shipping industry is vast, and you need to make sure you do your research on companies before selecting the right one to ship your vehicle. It is essential that you find a company that is experienced in shipping classic cars. There are different procedures that need to be taken in order to ensure the safety of your vehicle. No matter if it is a car shipping company or a broker, they need to be verifying that they can handle the shipping of classic cars or you could run the risk of damage.
2.You Need to Decide on an Open or Enclosed Trailer.When it comes to less damage enclosed is obviously the better way to go, but it will also cost more. Most auto shipping companies that are experienced in shipping classic cars will offer both options. Some classic cars may not fit on an open trailer because of a high cab, or they may require a more expensive trailer. Also, most auto transport companies only offer insurance on negligence, so any damage caused during the shipment in an open trailer could have your car insurance paying the bill.
- Schedule Ahead for Transport. There are several factors that make it necessary for you to plan ahead for your classic car transport. Some companies take several days or weeks to complete an entire load of vehicles for transport. Also, the location of where your vehicle will be shipped could make completing the load take longer. There are companies that offer quicker services, but this could also cost you more.
- Prepare for Pickup.Once you have decided on the auto transport company, and you know when your classic will be picked up, you also need to make sure your vehicle is ready for shipment. Cleaning the car is an excellent idea. If you car is clean, you do not have to worry about things inside the vehicle flying around and causing damage during the car transport. Do an inventory of the vehicle noting any additions such as radios that you may have added to the vehicle. Make sure all your fluid levels are at the proper levels to ensure there is no damage to the engine and other parts. It is a good idea to take photos of your vehicle, so you have proof of the vehicle’s condition prior to shipping, in case there is any damage during the transport. When the car is picked up the driver and the owner should go over the car together to see if there is any damage to the vehicle prior to the car being shipped.
- Prepare for Dropoff. During the car transport time you should keep in contact with the transporting company to make sure you are aware of the vehicles conditions and whereabouts. Some companies even provide photos of the vehicle during the shipping process to reassure the owner. Once your car is delivered go over the vehicle to see if there was any damage during the transport. Customer service should be important to your auto transporter. Let them know what you thought of the service. They should also be contacting you to make sure everything went as planned with your classic car transport.